This project is read-only.

Github

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Not a big deal, but I think Github provides a better environment for open source collaboration than codeplex.

The ability to clone the repository for your own use and then to send a pull request to the main repository owner makes perfect sense for open source work.

I used Subversion for years but this year I moved to Mercurial, which is very similar to Git in many ways. I'm never, ever, going back. You can't make me.

Distributed source control is marginally more complex to grasp, but it's ability to handle branching and different collaboration models is everything that Version Control Systems promised, and Subversion never delivered.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I've got two questions:

1. Hows VS2010 integration for Git?

2. Can I easily convert my CodePlex TFS repository to a CodePlex Git repository, while keeping the complete history?

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

1. I personally don't integrate with VS2010, I just use GitHub for Windows.

If you really want to integrate with Visual Studio, then according to StackOverflow the right tool to use is gitextensions.

2. This article: Migrating from CodePlex SVN to Github, makes it look rather straight forward, and desirable, to migrate.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I like the idea and the capabilities of Git, especially the possibility for others to contribute. I think I will switch to Git eventually, but I have to experiment with this. For now, spending time on new features, documentation, and integration packages, is higher on my list, so I'm afraid it will take some time before I will switch over to Git.

In the meantime, you can send contributions by creating an issue and attaching a file to that issue. This can be a zip containing your changes. I realize this isn't ideal, but better than nothing ;-)

Marked as answer by dot_NET_Junkie on 11/4/2013 at 1:55 AM
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:18 AM

All good, I've submitted some wcf stuff that I'm using.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM

In a recent interview Linus Torvalds suggested that people contribute to open source projects out of selfishness, it's a way for them to get the features they want into something, or the do it for the pleasure, or for the respect of their peers.

I think one of the nicest things about GitHub is the way that it makes it easy to see who is contributing to projects, and what they're adding, and what else they're working on, and hence the community as a whole is richer, more involved in the process of making better software.